Wordless Wednesdays

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Comforts of A Good Biscuit

Right now, I am sitting at our (very) small kitchen table, eating this delicious soup because I am in denial that it's still August and we have about 1.5 months of summer left before Fall really gets going around here. Steve has very politely requested that I hold off on roasting any more chickens, simmering rich, velvety chowders, and baking obnoxious amounts of biscuits until the weather mellows out a bit more (read- STOP MAKING THE HOUSE A RAGING INFERNO, MARY). Darn it. Just when I was getting started...oh, well. Mark my words, October. I'm going to roast, bake, braise, and simmer the heck out of you. BE READY.

 Now where was I?

Ah, yes; soup.

I love, love, love soup. I like it rich. I like it thick. I like an IN YOUR FACE flavor. I detest weak, pale, apologetic soups, except when I'm recovering from the flu, and in a situation like that, I cling to a childhood favorite- Mrs. Grass. But with that sole exception, I love a good, brave, honest soup. What else do I love about soup? As a mama of 4 lovely children (ages 5, 4, 2, and 4 months), I find it incredibly convenient and satisfying to get something delicious simmering during the afternoon, and free up the crazy, bewildering witching hour which plagues all parents (don't you dare pretend that your children are perfect from the hours of 3-6). When I have a soup ready to go, I'm able to make a simple and delicious side to accompany the marvelousness of it all, such as a quick loaf of bread in the bread maker, or something even more rich and satisfying...

BISCUITS.

Not Bisquick biscuits. Go big or go home, pal.

In recent months, I have avoided biscuits because they do involve a little busy work, but I am finding that the reward of a beautiful, hot, flaky, buttery biscuit is completely, totally, and utterly worth the effort. Also:
1) It's very "Mommy, can I help you" friendly.
2) It doesn't. Have. To be. Perfect.

And so, I'm going to share my number one favorite biscuit recipe with you- Buttermilk Biscuits. 

A few tips:

1) If you're short on time (and I usually am), just knead the dough right in the prep bowl.
2) If you're REALLY short on time (and I usually am), just tear off pieces of dough after kneading it (think somewhere in between the size of a golf ball and a baseball), form it into a rough biscuit shape, and throw it on the baking sheet. The kids LOVE doing this, and they're good at it. Don't sell the little folks short!
3) Parchment-lined baking sheet- it matters. It really does. Don't go cheap here, people. BUY THE PARCHMENT. BUY IT, I SAY!!

And that's basically it.

In other news...

Next week, we start school. In other words, we are being as lazy as humanly possible this week, or at least, I AM. And I shall not apologize for it. Not one bit, because next week I'm going to come out with guns blazing and no turning back. How's that for a disturbing image? I shall now leave you with a few pics of home life around here lately...








I think Jane Austen put it best: "There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort."

Happy Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment